Sunday, June 20, 2004

A World at War

After seeing Control Room yesterday, I've been thinking a bit about the ongoing war in Iraq. I am not a political person, nor have I been following all of the goings on terribly closely, but after seeing something like that, it will get one thinking about the world and a touch of the big picture.

There are awful things happening in the world right now, people are getting killed that shouldn't be. Hate is flying around in sometimes such a wide pattern that it will catch anyone caught in its wake, innocent or not. I see footage of the Iraqi people and realize I can never know what it is like to be in that situation, nor do I really want to be. What I do know is that I want all of our troops to come home as soon as possible. I want this conflict to end. I want peace. We all should wish to see an end to these aggressions.

A lot of people make fun of President Bush. That goes for a lot of political leaders. I am not one to really poke fun at these people, as I do not follow them terribly closely, but I will admit to finding a lot of humor in the way they some things and the way they are done. I feel that Bush is an intelligent man and has a good idea of what he is doing, or else he would not have made it this far in politics, controversy or no. I also think that Bush's biggest problem, and the reason for a lot of the jokes at his expense, is his poor public speaking. The man is terrible on the mic, he is very funny to listen to, and I feel it is mostly unintentional.

Anyway, one of my biggest issues with this war in Iraq has been the way that the focus changes so quickly. First we were after Osama bin Laden, then after he went into hiding, we went to Iraq to look for "weapons of mass destruction," when those could not be found, it turned to Saddam Hussein must be taken down, then it was Iraqi freedom, now it's probably gone through a few more incarnations. There is no focus, and it just seems disorganized.

In my opinion, the focus should not have been changed from Osama until he was caught or killed. He is one of, if not the, biggest threat right now. That is not to say Saddam is not a bad guy, he is, and the job should have been finished back in The Gulf War, and we would not be worrying about it right now.

I could probably write more, but then I would be rambling and not make much sense. I also don't particularly care to talk about it, but after seeing that film yesterday, I had to write something. Thanks for bearing with me, I promise to lighten up. Biggest thing to remember is that even if you do not follow every move, always be aware of what is going on in the world, we are seeing history in the making.

Stay Aware of the World.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home