Sunday, July 04, 2004

The Realm Part 8.

It is now time to bring this party to a close, what follows is what I had originally written and posted on my old site. It was a tough project considering the numerous obstacles in my way. If I get the opportunity, I will try to get some screen caps and post them. In the meantime, enjoy this final roundup!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is the way the world ends
This is the way the world ends
This is the way the world ends
Not with a bang, but a whimper
T.S. Eliot
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That was how it seemed as the semester came to a close. You see, I got the bar location I needed, but could not get my cast and crew together to go there. I had what I needed to get done at the studio on campus, I was able to get one and a half days worth of work done, problem was, I needed three or four days worth.

I ended up rewriting the story two nights before the project was due. I performed the voiceover myself, recorded the soundtrack myself (this, fortunately, was a track from a project I had done years previous that fit the tone of the film), filmed the remainder by myself at my house, and editing it all into one piece all in a matter of two days. The overall quality wasn't at the level that I had initially wanted, but it was impressive for two days work.

I rewrote my original story into something simpler, yet equally compelling. I also internalized the story making it the tale of a man alone, rather than a man seeking help. It became the story of a man who had nowhere else to turn. This version had a more tragic ending, which I am proud of, technically speaking. The climatic suicide was achieved visually by using a cardboard tube over the lens to simulate looking out the barrel of a rifle.

I must brag a little here, it made me feel better about the almost failed project. When my teacher first saw it in class he said that he liked it but..... When I saw him again just prior the graduation commencement, he said that he had watched it again at a more leisurely pace while at home, and said that he was very impressed with the short, considering the short span of time I had to put it together, and still making it a cohesive story.

In all I was happy with the result, a 7.5 minute opus. Something I can say I am proud of and would like to, one day, expand into a longer work. I will hopefully be turning this section into something of a forum to share my developing story ideas. I hope you have enjoyed your journey through my Realm. Please e-mail me your comments, I would love to know what you think!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home