Friday, June 25, 2004

It's All About the Ending

If any of you have ever written a story, the concept is the easy part, everybody has stories they can tell, based on their lives or their loved ones, or their enemies, or it can be completely made up/ Or it can be some combination of the two.

The main body can come out in an inspired burst, or fitful spurts brought on by lack of sleep or overcaffeination. It can be long or short, original or derivative. This is where the creativity comes into play. But there is something more important yet to come.

The most important part of a story is the ending. It is the last thing that your audience will experience. It carries the most weight with how your work will be perceived. Without a good ending, all that has come before it doesn't mean a thing. Have you ever read a novel, or watched a movie, or anything, that was on the dull side, but had an ending that blew you away? I know I have, and it changes the way you view everything that led up to that point.

That being said, starting Sunday, I will be porting over some stuff I wrote back in college. Specifically, it was the stages that my short film went through. Some of the text was written when it was posted on my website way back in the day. I will reread each step and post my own notes along with it, if any.

I also must say, the inspiration for this came to me as I viewed the Secret Window DVD (Review to be forthcoming at The Musings). A movie I definitely recommend.

Hopefully you will all come back to read the journey.

Keep Scribbling.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home