Thursday, July 22, 2004

Olympics.

We're just a few weeks away from the start of the summer games, and it appears that the attendance is going to be down. I was reading in the paper that more than half of the games tickets are still available, the travel agents are reporting sluggishness, and there are thousands of hotel rooms still available. Since the games are in Greece, it had been assumed that they would be a great attraction considering their large tourist business they already have.

Reading this got me to thinking, I know, it hurts, but still. I was wondering if the threat of possible terrorist activity could be having an impact on the sales? The world has changed a lot over the past few years, not just for those in the US, but all over the world. I know other countries have been dealing with terrorist activities and such for a lot longer than we have in the States, but ever since 9/11, we have been putting stronger emphasis on it, as it has finally hit home. It also seems that certain governments are trying to create an atmosphere of fear. I think this probably is having an effect, at least on Americans, of tourists who had been considering going to the games.

Certainly brings a bigger perspective on things. I personally don't think there will be any terrorist problems at the games. But I also refuse to fall into the fear that is trying to be put over us. If we give in to the fear, we have lost the fight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home