Monday, July 19, 2004

Addiction.

Are any of you addicted to anything? I am, a couple of things actually. No drugs or alcohol, or cigarettes. Although the addiction I speak of does have an effect on health, at times I feel helpless in resisting it. I am addicted to fast food, and junk food in general.

I eat it a lot. And have for many, many years. Many more than I would care to admit. Every once in awhile I stop eating it, but I'm always back to it in a matter of weeks. The problem is, I don't replace the meal with anything else, like bringing my own lunch to work. This of course makes it easier to slip into the fast food rut. Even when I do bring my lunch, I find myself being able to be convinced by co-workers to order lunch with them.
 
Justification comes in many forms, mainly things like "It was a rough morning, I deserve it." Also if I do start feeling hungry, my willpower to avoid it decreases dramatically. As I get hungrier, it becomes more and more appealing.  So by the time I go to lunch, I pretty much have a one track mind. Once I'm done eating, however, I tend to feel guilty about it, but at the same time, my mood is lifted, I feel happier and have a bit more pep.
 
I think this is why I identified so much with the documentary Super-Size Me. The mood change, and the weight gain. I am not in terribly good shape, granted I could be a lot worse off. Still the fact remains, I am in dire need of weaning off of this addiction and dropping some poundage.
 
It's really a terrible feeling, and a hard cycle to break. Maybe talking about it like this will motivate me to get off the junk, and work on my physical self-image. Like the saying goes " If I am what I eat, I'd be fast, easy, and cheap."
 
Wish me luck.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home